incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Extensions and templates
Date Sat, 10 Dec 2011 06:26:04 GMT
Gavin,

I have been an ungrateful ass.  Please forgive me.

I completely failed to recognize your offer as the contribution that it is.

 - It is concrete and specific
 - It starts with the least that can possibly work
 - It takes us off the hook for having to deal with an emergency loss of the existing operation

Good plan.

Thanks. I see nothing that requires adjustment.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Gavin McDonald [mailto:gavin@16degrees.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 15:51
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Extensions and templates

[ ... ]

Having spoken to OSUOSL, having looked around the machines and services in question
and having looked at and been told of the excessive bandwidth (and that is MUST stop),
here is the route I intend to take:

1. Move the services to a newer more modern host at the ASF (temporary)
2. BandAid the installation to stabilise it for the short term (this is still more work than
it sounds)
3. Stick Apache TrafficServer in front (not varnish) to improve response times / caching.

4. Go with the choice of Option 5. that is, to allow the hosting and downloading of the templates
   and extensions to be with the 3rd party authors. We will hold master copies, and provide
metadata
  and links to the download locations / master sites, but we will not allow downloading directly.
  This will solve the excessive bandwidth issues longer term. I intend to start the work of
this sometime
  in January.

If you or anyone else here has any complaints or issues or further idea, please bring them
to the infra team now as I
intend to get cracking in this very soon, the status quo can not continue, for benefit of
all.

Help welcomed at any step of the way.

(Note that moving services from OSUOSL hosts to the ASF hosts does nothing to solved the bandwidth
issues because the ASF servers are also OSUOSL hosted!)

Gav...
[ ... ]