incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:13:56 GMT
I'm not talking about what www.openoffice.org does now, but what it will do when it serves
up ooo-site.apach.org.  Isn't that the plan?

I know that what www.openoffice.org does now.  The only speculation I *had* to make is that
ooo-site.apache.org is going to be served up as www.openoffice.org, since it hasn't happened
yet.

I know you are frustrated about this.  I am too.  A common set of tacit understandings is
missing.  And getting to an explicit understandings seems to be beyond our reach.  Sorry.

 - Dennis

PS: Showing me curl responses for 404s and 302s doesn't help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 13:28
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!

On Dec 22, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> All I know is that
>
> http://openoffice.org/projects/FOO/lists/ have important content related to the lists
that are still operating.

> http://ooo-site.apache.org/projects/FOO/lists/ 404.
>
> That's not a speculation.

Go to http://www.openoffice.org/projects/www/lists and tell me what you get.

wave@minotaur:~$ curl http://www.openoffice.org/projects/www/lists

  <head>

  <h2 class="pageTitle">Not Found</h2>
  <!-- This file lives in public/404.html -->
    The page you were looking for doesn't exist.<br/>
    You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.
  &nbsp;|&nbsp;

You will then see that ooo-site does not need any redirection for these urls. Users do not
have any expectation other than a 404.

> So if you are only redirecting http://openoffice.org/ (or its index page) to http://www.openoffice.org,
no deep linking into openoffice.org will redirect, is that right?

KENAI does this redirect, not us. We do NOT need to redirect anything in the http://openoffice.org/projects/
path. We are leaving that legacy behind.

>  And only http://www.openoffice.org/ ... URLs will see ooo-site.apache.org/ ... paths,
is that that the idea?

They will have the same IP.

> OK, so that explains why there is no worry about recursion if ooo-site.apache.org/projects/FOO/lists/
redirects to openoffice.org/projects/FOO/lists/ as Joe suggests.  I prefer that part of it
also.

There is no worry because we just don't need it. I won't ask Joe to do it.

> I know how to do that on my own web sites, whether using .htaccess or meta elements in
page headers. For ooo-site, not so much.

For the future, meta elements should work just fine.

> And I am now going off list for a time while I sort out other work.

Me too. A lot to TRY to convince you that there is no worry and no need.

Regards,
Dave

> - Dennis

it redirect to http://www.openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/ and 404, since ooo-site.apache.org/projects/www/lists/
has nothing there?

> No it won't redirect. It only redirects at the first level.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/ does not exist at Kenai it gives a 404.
Nothing to worry about.

> The pattern is http://openoffice.org/projects/FOO/lists/
>
> Please try these urls in your browser before you speculate.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> - Dennis

break. They will need to be removed, but I don't think that should stop us from migration.

>> I do agree that we should make the old legacy visible on the new site. I've asked
for someone to look into /mail_list.html. Links to http://openoffice.org/projects/ and http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/.
would be welcome additions. CTR people!

>> Regards,
>> Dave

that each of the OpenOffice.org projects (and NL projects) have:

subscribed) Unsubscribe buttons for each list on that page.  Also, the archives are accessible
from those pages in a browser-friendly form.  This is how one can read the list using a browser
and there is even a way to post to the list via the web interface.

use the e-mail means of controlling their subscription, others rely on this, including TJ
for administrative functions.

the web site.  There is no reminder or announcement about that.