incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Gianluca Turconi" <pub...@letturefantastiche.com>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:31:35 GMT
In data 13 novembre 2011 alle ore 18:39:34, Andrea Pescetti
<pescetti@openoffice.org> ha scritto:

> Note that full builds were only provided for languages that had attained
> a satisfactory ( >80% ) percentage of interface translation. The other
> languages relied on language packs only, but my concern is mostly for
> users who download their localized version of OpenOffice.org as an
> "all-in-one" package. The 96% figure above is 22/23, where the missing
> one is the "cs_CZ" dictionary, the only case of a full build missing a
> dictionary. And of course I am not able to evaluate the quality of
> included dictionaries.

I think that, as long as the legal affair for linguistic tools is not
resolved with Apache legal people and the direct inclusion is felt like an
issue by many people, it may useful to have a split download with the main
AOOo binary plus the linguistic tools add-ons for the specific linguistic
tools *on the same download page*.

Something like what is done by LibO for the localized help pack here:

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

AOOo would have 2 links, buttons or whatever else (perhaps with a browser
language autodetection script in order to propose a localized binary),
i.e.:

1) the Italian AOOo main product and;
2) the Italian Linguistic Tools (Spell Checker, Hyphenation and
Thesaurus), that can be hosted externally.

or

1) the Spanish AOOo main product and;
2) the Spanish Linguistic Tools (Spell Checker, Hyphenation and Thesaurus).

It is important, IMO, that users have not to browse through the AOOo
website or even an external website to find the linguistic tools.
Everything should be clearly and easily downloadable from a main central
place.

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza, fantasy,
horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: