incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:22:00 GMT
	Hi *,

On 19.11.2011 21:40, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>> Pedro,
>>
>> Why does bringing in a CWS require creating diffs?
>>

> You know what, I bet we're not the First Ones in the History of the
> Universe to use branches in SVN.  So rather than fill this list with
> needless speculation on what is and what isn't supported, and what
> works best, I'd recommend we all just take the time to do some
> homework and read what the experts have written:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.branchmerge.html

I took the time to study this to some degree, and it looks valuable (and
manageable). Since we have such a case currently with Svg replacement I
offer to test this.

I have a pretty advanced version of the Svg replacement now, but still
locally (and some backups on an external drive), but nothing I would
call safe compared to a checked-in version on a well managed server.
Also already some people opted to take a look and test it, also a
situation to use a Svn branch.

We need to talk about the syntax, though. The most used one seems to be
to use something like

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/branches/svnreplacement

or (remembering CWSes):

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/cws/svnreplacement

What would be preferred and should I just start doing it...?

Sincerely,
	Armin

--
ALG