incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Anybody interested in TestTool? I wrote a Java lib to replace it.
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:45:50 GMT
Hi,

I prefer to have tests from several tiers, firstly having a UI test
framework that is written and performed by testers who are not that
experienced in writing tests in whatever programming language (BASIC is
not a must have but it needs to be as easy as LOGO turle graphics)
mostly to assure the quality of what has yet been tested and secondly
having API based tests to stress test the applications' programming
interface and thirdly having unit tests that are instanciated directly
from within the C++  or JAVA source code to detect common coding bugs
and at last to perform manual tests because UI based programs often show
bugs when a real person uses the application (like we found several bugs
in the past that would have never been found if we used the automation
based tests only).

> For me the VCLTesttool is dead. We shouldn't invest time there if we had
> an alternative GUI testing option with available source code. So we
> definitely should give the Java lib a try, if it could be made available
> under a suitable license.

For me VCL testtool is soumething from the past but it is still needed
until we have a replacement.

> Until then we should concentrate on writing integration tests in C++ or
> Java. We already have some of them (called "complex tests") and they
> have proven to be the most effective tool for bug hunting that we have.

Kind regards, Joost