incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Report Builder extension (was Re: [proposal] development for the first AOO release)
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:00:18 GMT
Le 10/11/11 16:16, Pedro Giffuni a écrit :

Hi Pedro, Ariel,

Oh I understand perfectly well why it is being done in this way, I make
my living out of intellectual property so I would be the first one to
say "IP clearance takes precedence" in line with the rules that Apache has.

I also understand that it could still continue to be built separately,
for those who have the time, energy and will to correct the inevitable
bitrot build errors that will creep in over time because code has
changed elsewhere, but no one thought to bother about adapting those
code changes to keep this module buildable. In other words, it will
become harder to build and maintain over time because it has been dropped.

Nonetheless, even if one looks on the optimistic side, there still
remain a few questions :

(1) who in all honesty will do it ?
 - if any of the Linux distribs are interested, they will package it
with their own build of AOOo (assuming that some of them switch from
LibreOffice to AOOo or just continue to provide both)

- what about distrib independent versions - obviously, there will be
none from within AOOo itself, since it can not, so quo vadis ?

- what about Mac ?
- what about Windows ?

I think that realistically, resources are spread too thinly on the
ground for this to happen at present.

(2) what kind of message does this convey to Joe Public ?
- AOOo (aka OOo) is destined only for those who know how to build and code ?

Somehow, I don't think that you'll hit your target audience with such an
approach - a binary version that misses bits of what has become
essential functionality for many will not sway people to switch from OOo
to AOOo - in fact, it might well even make them switch to competing
products.

Perhaps someone will find a way of furthering the development of the
original report designer instead, because that at least does form part
of the SGA (it was already in the initial release of the OOo code all
those years ago). I hope so, I really do.

Alex