incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OOo Business...
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:02:12 GMT

On Nov 10, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> I continue (naturally) to receive many requests from businesses (small
> and large) to use the trademarked "OpenOffice.org" logo. I generally
> pass on these, as there seemed, until very recently, a mystery on how
> to proceed. I'm still in need of enlightenment, and would appreciate
> some guidance.
>
> * I think it's pointless to endorse "OpenOffice.org" at this point.
> The probable name of its successor will be "Apache OpenOffice" or some
> variant thereof. And that new name will come into play very soon
> indeed. We will need to progressively inform all those using the old
> logo/name/trademark to switch over with new installation sets.

It is not pointless. We plan to keep this registered trademark and domain regardless of the
product name.

> * I would therefore like to be able to respond to those requesting use
> of the trademark, etc., to wait a little bit, and then to return to
> us—preferably to a wiki or even better, an automated service, such as
> we used on OOo, for this. (The automated service allowed us to docket
> requests and act more expeditiously, while also giving room for more
> fully understanding the request. Otherwise, the requests were simply
> sent to a list I set up for this and which John, Florian, and I
> managed for several years, though it really seems like an eternity—and
> John was doing much of the work.)

I may be wrong, but trademark requests need to go to the PPMC. Since these are private matters
- ooo-private@i.a.o. Requests will be evaluated and forwarded to trademarks@a.o for approval.
This is the current process which we've used in one or two cases.

> —
>
> I also receive many (well, a few) requests and inquiries about
> contributing to OpenOffice.org code. (Rob has been included in one
> such.) Right now, it's a little easier to tell people what to do—join
> Apache's lists for OOo in the Incubator, participate, contribute. But
> not all requests are quite so simple. For instance, what about
> templates? Extensions? I have no problem with telling people to join
> the lists where the contributions are, and to proceed according to the
> Apache way (tao of apache?) but perhaps there are other answers I
> should give? (Oh, and I have no problem whatsoever with others taking
> on this role. I've just been doing it as an extension of my previous
> existence modulo OOo, not as an assertion of nonexistent authority.)

We've yet to find a volunteer to take the lead on dealing with these overloaded Drupal servers
at OSUOSL.

Regards,
Dave