incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: view overlay manager
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:55:17 GMT
Hi Armin,

Le 22 nov. 11 à 12:11, Armin Le Grand a écrit :

> 	Hi eric,
>
> On 22.11.2011 10:58, eric b wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Still diff'ing 3.2.x and 3.3.+ source, code, I'm analysing the new
>> view
>> overlay manager. Can someone tell me who implemented it (sd) ?
>>
>> Probably Andre or Armin ?
>
> Yes, from me,

Great  :-)

> but it's not so new.

It was not in 3.2.x  Do you remember the integrated cws names ? Or
better : do you still have old diffs (would be perfect) ? I'm used to
learn changes throught diffs, sorry.

> It allows to have an 'overlay' on the edit views so that you can
> show/hide interaction objects (all kinds, e.g. the green markers,
> but also whole SdrObjects during interaction) quickly. There is a
> buffering and non-buffering implementation, only the buffering obne
> does use extra VDevs to achieve cheap repaints.

If you mean buffering like using double buffering with OpenGL, I need
buffering implementation. On my side, I worked a lot on the
backwindow, and even with Philipp Lohmann advices (e.g. using a
Virtual device), I was not able to completely avoid flicker on Linux
on 3.2.x based code (Windows is far better, Mac is perfect because
natively double buffered).  As you can see, everything decreasing
possible flicker is really helpfull.

> It is also used for the new transparent cursors in Writer and Calc,
> for example.

OOops .. discovering new cursors are used ... I'll investigate :-)

> Another side effect is that all paints foir the edit views are
> buffered now which e.g. for Writer made much old code to avoid
> flicker obsolete (and avoids flicker completely). It also speeded
> up repaints (also e.g. Writer) remarkably.
> Both effects (buffering and fast overlay repaints) are configurable
> using the registry, so less capable systems can switch all that off
> for less memory footprint.

That's extremely interesting. I don't see how to retrieve the old
cws, Anyway, I'll do a rough diff between 3.2.x and Apache
OpenOffice.org source code, per see the essential.

Can you tell me (roughly) what are the concerned modules ? (a fast
list is ok)

And if ever I got specific other questions, I'll ask you directly.

> HTH!

Yes it does ! Thanks again  :-)

Eric

--