incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:14:53 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob speaketh,
>
>   ... let's admit that almost all of the 500,000 openoffice.org
>   addresses are unused or were created by spammers and have zero
>   relevancy to the project.
>
> So, what is "almost all" of 500,000, and how can it be determined?  How many
> are left?

If you run a report on the BZ instance you see only 8700 or so unique
ID's have ever been used for submitting defects.  So 83% of the
500,000 ID's are irrelevant from the perspective of BZ.  Maybe the
remaining 420,000 users are furiously editing the wiki, but somehow I
doubt that as well.

We could narrow that down further by those who are reporters on issues
that are still open and get a more manageable number that could be
send a notification that the openoffice.org mail forwarder is going
away, with instructions on how to reset their email.

In any case, let's stop with the hysteria of the 500,000 accounts.
That has no basis in reality.  Not even LibreOffice is claiming that
many project participants.

> It would be more interesting to know how many forwards are happening via
> @openoffice.org over recent times, yes?

The number of forwards is irrelevant from the perspective of the
project.  ASF is not in the business of forwarding emails.  What is
relevant is our ability to communicate with people who have submitted
defect reports.   I think there are far easier ways of accomplishing
this, provided we act diligently and start notifying users that the
forwarding accounts are going away.  Remember, the openoffice.org
email address aliases are public.  Anyone can create a report of such
user accounts in BZ and send them a note.  So no data protection
issues are involved in notifying them that the service is going away.

-Rob