incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:05:43 GMT
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Redirects are easy once the live-site is our site and it can be figured out how to add
HTML <head> meta tags that the Apache CMS allows.  Also, there is always the good old
.htaccess scripting of a redirect (again, working around the CMS I suppose).

> It should be done on at least on ooo-site even if it has no effect until cut-over.
>
> There is no reason to break a link on speculation when it is easy to avoid breaking it,
or having the break be temporary until cut-over.  (I'd bet the page has been search-indexed
and the "your download is starting, thank you for downloading" pages link to donation/contribution
points.)

Dennis, I have absolutely no objections to any redirect rules that you
are volunteering to implement.  I, however, do not think they are
worth while, so I will not be spending any time on them.

-Rob

> Finally, it is my understanding that cut-over of the static site is now at our option
and the AOOo has reasonable discretion with regard to timing.  It seems that cut-over can
be done as soon as ooo-site is ready enough to be the new live site.  And the subdomains
don't all have to cut over together and everything will still work.  A progressive, rolling
cut-over might even be in the cards.