incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 23:50:07 GMT
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts
<lsuarezpotts@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> I pretty much did the initial draft of the page and set the logic of
> what counted as "participate" and "contribute".  And I was raked over
> the coals by the United Developers of the World who critiqued my
> conflation of any old contribution with sophisticated development.
> Point taken, they were right, I was wrong, but the point was to grow
> the project and to thus justify its existence. Development would come,
> once the market was established.
>
> So now we are here. What do we want out of this? Do we want to re-do
> the strategy of yore and expand the market?

Hi Louis,  I was making a much narrower point, that if I were looking
to donate cash to an open source project, I would not think to look
under a link that read "I want to participate".  That was my only
point.  I wasn't expressing an opinion on code versus other forms of
participation.  We need and welcome volunteers of all kinds.

-Rob