incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What about BrOffice?
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:43:19 GMT
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi guys;
>
> I am not meaning to alienate the Brazilian community or
> anything like that. Just wondering if there are thoughts
> on BrOffice brand and releases.
>
> AFAICT, BrOffice is not a trademark SUN owned so it was
> not transferred to the ASF. I think the BrOffice people
> will have to make a proposal to the PPMC but just some
> points to wonder about:

IMHO, the name "BrOffice" is different enough from "OpenOffice" that
there is not a problem here from the AOO perspective.  But if someone
else owns the trademark for "BrOffice" then that might be a different
problem.

> - Are we (AOO) allowed to carry BrOffice branding stuff
> in our repository at all?

Why would we want to do that?

> - Can anyone release a BrOffice branded product?

This depends on whether someone else claims a trademark on BrOffice.

> - How will it be differentiated by the BrOffice derived
> from LibreOffice (therefore under a different license)?
> - Could/should it be called Apache BrOffice? (would
> surely require permission from ASF if that's the case).

"Apache BrOffice" would be a problem unless BrOffice was the name of
an actual Apache project.

> Just thinking that such things should be planned
> beforehand ;).

Is there a problem with just having a Brazilian Portuguese release of
Apache OpenOffice using the name "Apache OpenOffice"?  That would be
the simplest thing to do.

-Rob