incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:41:48 GMT
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Grand@me.com> wrote:
>        Hi *,
>
> On 19.11.2011 21:40, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Pedro,
>>>
>>> Why does bringing in a CWS require creating diffs?
>>>

>> You know what, I bet we're not the First Ones in the History of the
>> Universe to use branches in SVN.  So rather than fill this list with
>> needless speculation on what is and what isn't supported, and what
>> works best, I'd recommend we all just take the time to do some
>> homework and read what the experts have written:
>>
>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.branchmerge.html
>
> I took the time to study this to some degree, and it looks valuable (and
> manageable). Since we have such a case currently with Svg replacement I
> offer to test this.
>
> I have a pretty advanced version of the Svg replacement now, but still
> locally (and some backups on an external drive), but nothing I would call
> safe compared to a checked-in version on a well managed server. Also already
> some people opted to take a look and test it, also a situation to use a Svn
> branch.
>
> We need to talk about the syntax, though. The most used one seems to be to
> use something like
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/branches/svnreplacement
>
> or (remembering CWSes):
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/cws/svnreplacement

As you have probably read, these are just "cheap copies" / "copy on
write" references in SVN, so the directory name does not really
matter.

There might be some advantage to prefacing the name with your Apache
ID, e.g., "alg-svnreplacement" so it is easy to find all of your own
feature branches.

> What would be preferred and should I just start doing it...?

We could do it entirely in /branches if we adopt a naming scheme, like
DEV* for release stabilization branches and <Apache-ID>-* for
individual feature branches.  Or separate these with different
directories, per your example.  I don't think the tools care one way
or another.

Would you ever want/need to check out all CWS's but not release
branches?  Or want to grep all CWS's but not the DEV branches, or do
any other operation that would impact only the CWS's together?   If
so, having them in different directories would help a little.

-Rob