incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Shutdown of openoffice.org email forwarder: How to notify users
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 19:16:38 GMT
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts
<lsuarezpotts@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob,
>

> On 10 November 2011 11:05, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> It looks like the email forwarder will not be migrating to Apache.
>
> Right
>
>>  We
>> don't want this to be a surprise to users.  We want them to have ample
>> notice to adjust to this change.  I'd like to have a discussion on how
>> we can best do this, and to see if there are any volunteers to help
>> with this.
>>
>> ==Plan 1==
>>
>> Publish details on AOOo wiki page, and publicize via mailing lists,
>> website and social media.
>>
>> We can make a wiki page that covers:
>>
>> 1) Clear statement that the forwarding service is going away, why and when?
>>
>> 2) What will happen with emails sent to these addresses (we are not
>> storing any emails, we do not touch them.  They will be bounced and
>> the sender will get an error message)
>>
>> 3) What the user needs to do (notify people and services that send
>> emails to their openoffice.org address and ask them to update their
>> address books and records with the new address)
>>
>> 4) Where to go for more informaiton/questions (maybe ooo-users?)
>>
>> If we can get that written up, perhaps with some translations, then we
>> can get the message out via:
>>
>> 1 Apache and legacy OOo mailing lists
>> 2. website home page (both AOOo and OOo)
>> 3. Facebook, Twitter, Google+
>>
>> This is similar to what we are doing with the mailing list migration.
>> It is low tech, easy to roll out.
>>
>> ==Plan 2==
>>
>> Bulk notification of all 500,000 forwarding accounts that the service
>> is going away.  Same information as above, including translations, but
>> pushed to users.  This approach would require Oracle to send the
>> notifications.    I'm am not certain this is feasible.
>
> It is not; it is also not correct to presume that all members of OOo
> (more than 500K, probably) would even know what you are talking about.

I sometimes wonder whether anyone says what I am saying.  But I do
take some solace in Gertrude Stein's:

"Clarity is of no importance because nobody listens and nobody knows
what you mean no matter what you mean, nor how clearly you mean what
you mean. But if you have vitality enough of knowing enough of what
you mean, somebody and sometime and sometimes a great many will have
to realize that you know what you mean and so they will agree that you
mean what you know, what you know you mean, which is as near as
anybody can come to understanding anyone."

;-)

> I would argue for plan 1 and further have a bulletin posted to OOo
> (this can be done) alerting people of it. It would also give me the
> chance then to announce the closure of OOo, and its new life as a new
> thing for old people like me (and young-uns, too).

My preference is #1 as well.  It is low tech, but that means we might
actually get it to work.

-Rob