incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can we update our migration status table?
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 02:49:27 GMT
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM, TJ Frazier <tjfrazier@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 21:10, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> If you recall, this is the site that we are pointing users to for the
>> current status of the migration effort:
>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OpenOffice.org+Migration+Status
>>
>> A few things that seem wrong:
>>
>> 1) Why are we saying "no consensus" for the extension and template
>> sites?  That makes it sound like we're having a discussion and we
>> don't yet agree on how to handle these sites.  But isn't the truth
>> more like we all agree to do nothing for the short term, but continue
>> having this hosted by OSL?   Does anyone disagree that this is the
>> plan?  (Psst.  If no one disagrees with that, then we have consensus)
>>

>> 2) EIS, TCM, QUASTe, QATrack, Registration, Product improvement and
>> Crash Reporter --- does anyone disagree that the plan is that those
>> sites are gone and are not coming back?  Instead of "No decision yet",
>> are there any objections to me changing these to give a final status
>> of "Will not migrate"?
>>

>> If there are any other updates, please edit the wiki.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> Two quick comments:
> (1) We're seriously abandoning Registration? I wonder what Marketing (ours
> and ASF's) thinks about that?

Go ahead -- make a case for why we should be registering users and
taking possession of personally identifying information, such as
names, addresses and email addresses, and dealing with the privacy
implications of that.  What is the benefit?  What are we going to do,
send them sales literature on related products?

> (2) Both Registration and Crash Reporter have code links, i.e., will require
> code changes in the product so that users aren't sent to dead ends.

Understood.