incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mailing list user migration: Staging and volunteers
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:04:38 GMT
On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Andrea Pescetti
<pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On 25/10/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> Process for getting a new mailing list created is here:
>> Probably makes sense to start with the largest NL communities first?
>
> I had a look at this and at the mentioned EZMLM "Moderator's and
> Administrator's Manual" to have an idea, and it seems that the moderator
> role and its processes are quite different from what we are used to at
> openoffice.org.

Yes.  It is the difference between ezmlm and Sympa.

> While I do have a general understanding now, I still miss some information
> on how the lists are actually configured at Apache:
>
> - Must all moderation happen by e-mail through the -accept address and
> similar? Isn't a web interface available?

I am not aware of any web interface.  List moderators are emailed
posts to moderate and they accept or reject the posts via a mail
interface.  The moderation posts have mailto: links within them, so it
is usually enough to just click the 'accept' or 'reject' links.

> - The distinction between a "Moderator" and an "Administrator" is new to me,
> and I realized that at it.openoffice.org I act much more as an Administrator
> than a Moderator. My most frequent task is a user asking me to change his
> e-mail address, which I have to do in two steps (automatically subscribe the
> new address, then remove the old one; he could do it himself of course, but
> often he experienced difficulties while trying). Can this be done on the
> Apache lists too?

A list moderator and subscribe and unsubscribe users.

> - Can a lists be set up so that it automatically rejects posts from
> non-members, sending a (possibly configurable) standard reply?

i think by policy we do not want to do this.  We should welcome
list.  This happens all the time, even here on ooo-dev.

One thing to note is that the incoming list posts at Apache are run
through SpamAssassin.  This happens for messages from list subscribers
as well as non-subscribers.  So the ezlmlm lists at Apache see far
less spam that the legacy Sympa lists at OOo.   The result is that
almost all of the posts that are held for moderation on ooo-dev,
ooo-users, ooo-marketing, etc., are either list subscribers posting
from a different email address than their subscribed address, or
relevant posts from non-subscribers.   It is a good thing that we
don't automatically reject these posts.

> - Can subject tags and e-mail footers be customized?

Yes.  You see this, for example, in the ooo-users list which has
unsubscribe info in the footer.

-Rob