incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting permission to use OpenOffice Trademarks (draft)
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 18:32:38 GMT
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2011 4:52 PM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> I think the Team OOo situation involving Fundraising that confuses brand
> ownership requires some additional rules.
>>

> Fundraising that confuses brand ownership would probably not be approved by
> trademarks.
>
> That isn't to say fundraising is not allowed, just not in a brand confusing
> way.

I see three categories:

1) Uses of our trademarks that are are allowed even without permission
from ASF, e.g., nominative use that does not cause confusion for users
or imply endorsement from ASF.

2) Uses of our trademark that are explicitly not permitted by ASF policy.

3) Uses of our trademark that may be granted by recommendation of the
PMC and approval by ASF VP, Brand Management

The correct place to spell outthe details of #1 and #2 is on the ASF
trademark policy page.  We shouldn't be defining our own forked
trademark policy in a podling.  Right now I see zero mention of
"fundraising" on the ASF trademark page.  Maybe there should be.

-Rob