incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:03:35 GMT
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> I have been mulling this over for a long time...
>
> Up to now, we have been reactionary. We have allowed others to
> control and distort the message, paint things as a "us vs. them"
> battle (simply to position themselves for personal gain in the
> whole debacle), and foster FUD to the clear harm of the ENTIRE
> OOo ecosystem.

Of course, an AOOo release would be the best possible vehicle for
expressing a proactive message.  But until we have that, I could
certainly see the value of having a statement on what we are, what we
believe, what we stand for, etc.  At graduation time we'd draft a
charter for the new TLP.  But today we don't have anything.

> I think it's time that an Open Letter to the entire Open Office
> ecosystem (companies, entities, individuals, etc...) be drafted
> that sets the record straight.

Hmm... maybe we have different things in mind.  I was thinking more of
a manifesto type statement.  "We are the Apache OpenOffice podling.
These are the things we believe are important..." and then list 10
things and end with, "Here's how you can help...".

That would be proactive, not reactionary.

> And I volunteer to drive this task...

We could work on it collaboratively on the wiki.