incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:38:41 GMT
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:48 PM, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking at the archives (see [1]), the flow of mails we receive every day,
> on ooo-dev mailing list is really big, and not always "development"
> relevant. And more than 1500 mails every month, is maybe too much (of me it
> is). Of course, I'm the first to think, some topics are important,
> interesting and must be debated, but we reached some limit, and must, say
> ... improve the situation.
>
> As a compromise, what about to create ooo-discuss@incubator.apache.org  ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestion / opinion :-)

I think it is a balance between having a single community with a
single conversation, and allowing committers to focus.  Focus is
mainly a mental skill, a habit.  If you look at the committers
checking in the most code, they seem to be far less active than those
who are posting frequently on every thread.

If we had a discuss forum, perhaps some of the "side conversations"
might migrate there.  But it is not guaranteed.  The problem would be
that the "ooo-discuss" sub-community would have nothing to do, nothing
to focus on.  And we would still have flame wars on ooo-dev, since
trolls want to be on the busy list, not the side list.

What might work, is if we get a large volume of focused threads on
ooo-dev that are related much more to each other than are related to
other threads, then we could think about making a new list for that
topic.  Think of refactoring software and looking for code with high
intra-module cohesion but with low inter-module coupling.  An example
of this might be an ooo-l10n list for localization/translation/related
threads.  Both at a technical level and in terms of the pre-existing
community, that subject has been separate.

Regards,

-Rob