incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for retirement of openoffice.org email forwarder
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:31:51 GMT
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Andrea Pescetti
>> <pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:

>>> OK, I've read it and I still believe it was probably a bad choice, but we
>>> will have to respect it.

>>> Sure. And I would actually turn your proposal in something less negative;
>>> say, I would add that people who believe that an e-mail address is important
>>> for community building can become Apache OpenOffice committers by
>>> meritocracy and obtain an @apache.org e-mail address (or forwarder, or
>>> whatever it is).
>>>

>> Good point.

>>> Here it will be important to avoid that someone receives a deluge of
>>> notifications by some automated system that is still in place in the complex
>>> OpenOffice.org infrastructure. So this has to be handled carefully, but I'm
>>> in favor of an automated response.
>>>

>> So what systems do you think might be sending a lot of emails at once
>> to openoffice.org email addresses?
>>
>> 1) Legacy OpenOffice.org mailing lists
>>
>> 2) Bugzilla?
>>
>> Any others?
>>
>> Give the above, it probably makes sense if we first disable the legacy
>> mailing lists, and only then disable the email forwarder.  That will
>> eliminate the largest source of bounce notifications.
>
> You should discuss the details with Andrew Rist.
>
> Let's not forgot that we do not need the same urgency retiring email forwarders that
we require for migrating the website.

I feel some urgency on retiring the email forwarder.  As I stated
before, with 500,000 email addresses we cannot be certain that some
are not being used by individuals impersonating official roles for the
project.  That was hypothetical before.  But know we have evidence of
actual instances of this.  Also, if you recall, the Board concerns
about the service had nothing to do with the ease oir difficulty of
migration.  It was on policy grounds.

So I'm going to continue pushing for a coordinated, clean retirement
of that service, along with the legacy mailing lists.

-Rob