incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 02:57:32 GMT
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 11/7/11, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>
>> Hi *,
>>
>> > On the long run I think the Apache-Way means we give
>> > prevalence to freedom over features so we either move
>> > back to MySpell
>>
>> it has already been said that MySpell is a step backward
>>

> It is, but can't we have both MySpell and HunSpell? It is
> good to have alternatives.
>
>> > or we do something completely new based
>> > on Apache openNLP.
>>
>> "we" means here "software developers in the know of this
>> topic", and
>> I don't read much names of those in this thread. I mean,
>> someone with
>> the knowledge has to sit and write code. So why starting
>> something new
>> from scratch when we already have something that works, and
>> fits
>> "The Apache Way"?
>>

> It's just an idea but IBM uses something like this:
>
>    http://incubator.apache.org/opennlp/
>
> This is only an idea for the future, as I said for 3.4
> we go HunSpell and I can see that for a while we will
> be busy on other things.

The future is even easier than that.  Microsoft appears to be moving
the spell checker into the OS.  For example, Windows 8 will have spell
checking built in, and any application can call into an API to access
it.  And I think any native GUI control will get spell checking for
free.

I think this trend makes a lot of sense, so different applications on
the same system share the same dictionary, spell checking logic and
custom user words.

>> Look at the folders:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/hunspell/
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/mythes/
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/hyphen/
>>
>> there are only patches and makefiles, no copyleft source.
>> AOOo can keep Hunspell based linguistic components, there
>> is no need to remove anything, it is already IP-clean.
>
> I know, I know.. but why download tarballs when you can use:
>
> --with-system-hunspell
> --with-system-mythes
>
> (Which is also used by LibreOffice AFAICT)
>
>> The situation is almost the same as before.
>>

> The only issue is the Italian dictionary, which is GPL-only
> and we can't include at all.
>
> Now let's be realistic: we don't develop dictionaries here
> in AOOo (that I know of) and due to license issues our
> repositories and source distributions can't carry them
> anyway. Why not build all of them in apache-Extras or
> wherever and link them there for users?
>
> As you say, things don't change too much at all.

Why not host at in the extensions repository?  It has a better
end-user interface than Apache Extras has.  But Apache Extras is more
stable.  I think we still have trouble waiting to happen, that we rely
so much on an extensions website that is often down.

-Rob