incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Source Code Sponsor of OOo
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:14:27 GMT
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Martin Hollmichel
<martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Shane,
>
> the reference to the Apache Project is required here, agreed. We are
> reworking the content of the pages to make the message more clear, your
> guidance on how to point to Apache OpenOffice project is appreciated here,

Hi Martin,

Before anyone cuts my head off, let me preface my remarks by stating
that this is my personal view, which others on the project may agree
or disagree with.   Personally, I agree with your high level goals, at
least as I understand them.  So I want you to succeed here.  But I did
review the http://teamopenoffice.org/en/ website yesterday and noted
the following areas that appeared problematic to me.  IANAL, of
course, but I think these areas should be addressed:

1) Apache owns the trademark on the blue & black text OpenOffice.org +
birds logo.  The Team OpenOffice uses this logo on their home page
without
permission from Apache.

2)  Apache owns the trademark on the name "OpenOffice.org".  This name
and its common abbreviation "OOo" are used throughout the website
without permission.

3) Use of the confusingly similar name "Team OpenOffice" without
disclaimer stating they are not affiliated with the Apache OpenOffice
project or the Apache Software Foundation.

4) The pervasive claims that Team OpenOffice is "saving
OpenOffice.org" without a disclaimer saying that they are not
affiliated with the Apache
OpenOffice project or the Apache Software Foundation.

5) No where on the website do we see acknowledgement that
OpenOffice.org is a trademark of the ASF

6) The website suggested that donors/sponsors can get their names
added to an OpenOffice.org release.

I would certainly be supportive of Apache granting permission for some
uses of the trademark by Team OpenOffice.  But I think (again, my own
personal opinion, so please everyone, stop sharpening those axes), the
primary goals should be:

1) Make it clear to the visitor what the scope of Team OpenOffice
activities are compared to Apache activities.  Confusing these,
especially in the context of fundraising, is going to cause problems.

2) Express your support of the Apache OpenOffice project and the
larger ecosystem, which I believe is well-intentioned and serious,
without blurring the distinction between what is Apache and what is
Team OpenOffice.

3) Raising funds for your organization's activities, without using
Apache-owned trademarks in a way that could be confused as expressing
Apache support or participation in the fundraising.

Regards,

-Rob