incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 23:25:04 GMT
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>

> I agree that we can be quick. We will ask Apache Infra to permanently redirect contributing.openoffice.org
to our new page either to

> http://ooo-site.apache.org/participate/
>
> or
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/participate/
>
> As long as there is a simple page in place the infra change can proceed independently
from the content correction.

>> 3) From what I've been told, the plan is to switch the ooo-site live
>> within a couple of weeks,
>
> Well, next few weeks. I'm contemplating a more direct approach and pruning approach that
must proceed specially for several subdomains.

> downloads.oo.o is another discussion and it goes as far away from the podling site as
possible.

>> So.... it seems to me that anything that can be done now, in the short
>> term, is more useful.  We can always refine it over time, add to it.,
>> expand it, make it more friendly, etc.  But almost anything is better
>> than the 100% incorrect information that is on the website now.  So
>> I'd recommend, per my original proposal, that we just put a 1-pager up
>> for now, directing volunteers to ooo-dev.  Unless, of course, someone
>> actually is volunteering to do more in this same timeframe.  Doing
>> more later is fine as well.  But let's keep the focus on what can be
>> done in, say the next two weeks.
>
> Agreed. Keep it simple and then refine it. I think it will turn some attention to the
AOO podling's story.

Let's try to restart this thread, since it appears entropy got he best
of it in the first try.

We currently have this on the Podling website:

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html

Can we update that as needed and just direct the participate page to that?

One higher level issue we have is that we have never reached consensus
on how the Apache-domain project site and the openoffice.org site
relate.  I'll start another thread on that/

-Rob