incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:03:10 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>>> There are problems concerning migration of yourname@ openoffice.org, listname@
>>> openoffice.org, and servicename@ openoffice.org.  Consequently, all yourname@
>>> openoffice.org addresses will be shut down when the migration goes into its
>>> final stages sometime in November.
>>>
>>> I don't have a solution.  I have an appraisal of the issue.  It is something
>>> that requires mutual understanding and, out of our mutual attention, the
>>> prospect of a workable solution.
>>>

>> Dealing with the servicename@openoffice.org addresses is relatively
>> easy to handle.  Since we generally control the underlying service we
>> can simply change the service (or the wiki or website if these are
>> human-generated enails) to send notifications to one of our existing
>> lists.  We are doing that, for example with the BZ notifications.
>>
>> yourname@openoffice.org -- I don't think providing free lifetime
>> personal email forwarding services to non project members is part of
>> the core mission for this project or ASF.  A Gmail account is free for
>> the asking.  And if someone really wants a project-related vanity
>> address, then apache.org is available to all committers.  But I do not
>> accept any obligation for this project to fix a situation caused by
>> bad choices and decisions by those in the past.
>
> Maybe a shorter description of some facts.
>
> (1) Oracle will not be giving the ASF this data. (I've heard this from a reputable source.)
> (2) There are many @openoffice.org addresses embedded in the following services:
>        - Wiki.
>        - Forums.
>        - BZ.
>        - Website. Here we can identify and change.
>        - Code?
>        - Other docs?
> (3) We will have @OOo ML forwarders to our project's MLs @i.a.o. Correct? This will be
about 330 addresses.

I don't believe anyone has planned to do this.

> (4) There are almost 500,000 of these ids. Getting one was part of the whole openoffice.org
single sign-on structure.

> We have choices.
>
> (A) Provide a mechanism to allow re-registration of the OOo forwarders on some limited
basis, but expanding basis. This would probably mean that the project would have to manage
the OOo MX.
> (B) Drop all individual forwarders and have a lot of notifications of breakage for these
services. We also disconnect the community.
> (C) Provide some mechanism to change emails in BZ, Wiki and Forums.

A far easier solution.  First notice that the use of the email address
as an identifier and its use as an email address are two different
things.  We can preserve one without the other.  If someone wants to
preserve the openoffice.org address as an identifier, then they can do
that.  But we should give them notice so they can login into the
services and change their email address to a different, real one.
Since BZ and phpBB both allow email address distinct from their user
ID's, this should be possible, right?  Maybe it will require some
handholding and notification.  But let's not turn this into hysterical
predictions of an impending calamity.

Also note that I will object to the continuation of these
openoffice.org addresses unless there is a clear path to preventing
abuse.  For example, what prevents someone from registering the email
address sales@openoffice.org, or other deceptive names, in English or
any other language?

systems with an @OOo email to change their address without losing their content?