incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: request
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 11:28:06 GMT
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ariel.constenla.haile@gmail.com> wrote:

> N-L Projects had Project Leads
> http://projects.openoffice.org/native-lang.html
>
> You can read some rules in http://native-lang.openoffice.org/
>
> Basically, N-L Projects were managed by Project Leads.
> IMO fortunately in The Apache Way there is no place for Project Leads
> anymore.

We are a single project.  But someone can still volunteer to "take the
lead" on something.  So Dave Fisher took the lead in getting the OOo
website moved over to Apache.  We all acknowledge his enthusiasm and
skill in this area, the generosity of his time. No one appointed him
"Webmaster" or "Lead" for that effort.  But he is the de facto lead
for that effort because he demonstrated leadership and volunteered to
lead that effort.  But next week it could be someone else doing the
same task.  It is very fluid.

I think OOo was more vertical and hierarchical in how the project was
structured, with formal roles and leads that defined domains of
exclusive control.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Most
corporations are like that.  Apache projects are more horizontal.
There are no predefined roles.  But we naturally have different
interests and skills and our efforts naturally sort themselves
according to those preferences.  And these interests might change over
time.  But there are no formal appointed leads.  It is more about
coordination than control.

That's my view of how it works.  Others may be a different view of
this.  That is expected.  No one has exclusive control over saying
what the Apache Way means.

-Rob