incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:01:11 GMT
There seems to be some requiring questions in this ballot.  We had a
length discussion on these topics on the ooo-marketing list, but not
everyone followed that discussions.

Some things to keep in mind:

1) This is a vote for what name the project prefers.  Whatever choice
we decide on will still be subject to Apache branding and legal
review.   So it makes sense to vote on what name you really want.  If
our first choice is not available, then we can discuss and vote on a
2nd choice.  But let's not let "folk wisdom" about trademark law
interfere with this vote.  We'll let the the experts weigh in on the
legal suitability of our preferred name later.

2) Whatever name we choose, ASF will continue to own the
OpenOffice.org trademark.  We're not voting on whether we eliminate
that.

3) The name of our mailing list is not really relevant.  When we
graduate we will change the list names.  For example,
ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org could be renamed, including to names
like:

dev@openoffice.apache.org
dev@openofficeorg.apache.org
dev@office.apache.org
dev@ooo.apache.org

A similar base name would be used for the project's website.  The
choice of what base name we'll use is another decision.  We're not
voting on that now, though obviously we'll want our list address to
tie into the overall branding.

Regards,

-Rob