incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: request
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 15:51:35 GMT
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2011, at 4:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> <ariel.constenla.haile@gmail.com> wrote:
NL. NL

>>> N-L Projects had Project Leads
>>> http://projects.openoffice.org/native-lang.html
>>>
>>> You can read some rules in http://native-lang.openoffice.org/
>>>
>>> Basically, N-L Projects were managed by Project Leads.
>>> IMO fortunately in The Apache Way there is no place for Project Leads
>>> anymore.
>>>

>> We are a single project.  But someone can still volunteer to "take the
>> lead" on something.  So Dave Fisher took the lead in getting the OOo
>> website moved over to Apache.  We all acknowledge his enthusiasm and
>> skill in this area, the generosity of his time. No one appointed him
>> "Webmaster" or "Lead" for that effort.  But he is the de facto lead
>> for that effort because he demonstrated leadership and volunteered to
>> lead that effort.  But next week it could be someone else doing the
>> same task.  It is very fluid.
>
> Thanks for this. I've documented the process both in the svn archive and on the website.
I am very willing to share. Changes are welcome.

> For the website I'll give others credit for starting to move the NL projects:
>
> - Raphael Bircher did the DE port from kenai and provided the svn address for Kenai.
> - Marcus worked in the DE site and with Downloads.
> - Kay is the one who did most of the initial migrations of the NL sites. There was trouble
and I am filling from behind.
> - Alexandro has made a couple of tweaks to the ES site.
>
> I hope I haven't forgotten anyone.
>

>> I think OOo was more vertical and hierarchical in how the project was
>> structured, with formal roles and leads that defined domains of
>> exclusive control.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Most
>> corporations are like that.  Apache projects are more horizontal.
>> There are no predefined roles.  But we naturally have different
>> interests and skills and our efforts naturally sort themselves
>> according to those preferences.  And these interests might change over
>> time.  But there are no formal appointed leads.  It is more about
>> coordination than control.
>
> Whether or not we continue NL sites when the switchover occurs is a decision for the
project.

> Whether or not translations occur in each NL site or as translations of key pages in
www & the rest depends on whether or not there are individuals who are committed to doing
and maintaining the translations - or the NL sites.

> The experience of migrating the NL sites is leading me towards the translation approach.

We could also take a mixed approach:

1) NL versions of the main public welcome site (xx.openoffice.org) are
translations of the main www.openoffice.org page.  We try to maintain
this in a coordinated fashion.  So a common look & feel, common
branding placement, common content, a way for the PPMC to push out
timely notices across the NL sites, etc.

2) But each NL site has a panel for NL-specific notices and updates.
This could include links to pages with additional specific content
targeted to that NL.  For example, the Arabic and Hebrew sites might
have a special page on how bidirectional text is supported in
OpenOffice.  The Japanese website could have specific FAQs on things
like support of IME's, etc.  Local AOOo-related events could also be
there.

With an approach like that we get the best of both worlds:  a
consistent message for our users, as well as flexibility for relevant
NL-specific content.

If we wanted to get really fancy, we could notice that language is but
one dimension by which we could personalize the site's user
experience.  Someone, when they first visit, might say that they are a
student, or an engineer, or a home user, or a corporate user, etc.,
and we could feature content recommended for them based on their
profile, e.g., new templates, plugins, FAQ's, etc.  This could be done
manually, e.g., someone tags a message as appropriate for "all
english-speaking students" and it shows up when they visit.  Or it
could be automated via the various collaborative filtering algorithms.
 E-commerce sites like Amazon.com use this all over.  But the
techniques are equally applicable to us and our users.

Someday.  First we stand, then walk, then run.  We're starting to
stand up now.  But I think having a high level vision for website
personalization would help guide us toward future possibilities.  And
a template-like approach of fixed content which is translated, and
then zones (panels, <div>'s, whatever) of content that can be inserted
on a targeted basis, would give us a lot of flexibility.

> OTH - Communities have built sites and they have an interest in the results.
>
> If we decide to change to a translation approach it will still be good to have the existing
OOo in a tag in the ooo-site tree. That way it can be recovered.