incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Help wanted for a better "Help Wanted"
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:04:57 GMT
I had someone contact me off list asking how they could help with the
project.  The person pointed this this page, but noted it appeared out
of date:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted

Indeed it is :-(

How could we improve on this?

Some options (and I'm sure there are others):

1. Use the wiki, but keep this more up to date.  This is easy to
maintain for us, but doesn't scale that well after we get past a few
dozen items.

2. Use Bugzilla.  Have some way of marking an issue by level of
difficulty, or ones that are especially good for new volunteers.  Have
a query that can pull up these issues.

3. Use an external service, like OpenHatch:  http://openhatch.org/
("An open source community aiming to help newcomers find their way
into free software projects."

This could be used in conjunction with #2, to promote volunteer
opportunities via their aptly named "volunteer opportunity finder".
You indicate what BZ keywords indicate "bitesized" issues or
"documentation" issues and these are advertised for volunteers to see.

We didn't have BZ set up when I added the "help wanted" page to the
wiki back in June.  So maybe the best approach is some combination of
2 & 3?

Any thoughts?

I'm willing to help.  But I'd need some BZ admin assistance.

-Rob