incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Trademark and Brand
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:02:31 GMT
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton@gmail.com> wrote:
> One might note 35 ppmc voted and I believe that is more than 1/2 of the
> PPMC

Some quick thoughts, not in particular to Wolf's comments, but
something I think we need to remember:

We had a vote because a vote was the only way to move things forward.
I'd much prefer that we always try to decide things by discussion and
by achieving consensus.  In fact we tried that, on many previous
threads.  But it was clear that there were strong opinions on both
sides of the naming debate, so a vote was the only way to move this
forward.  The close results in the vote supports that view that
reaching consensus was not likely to happen.

But I recommend that we think of this as an anomaly, not something we
want to repeat often.  Voting is not the usual way of decision making
in Apache projects.  Except for mandatory voting for new committers,
PMC members, etc.,  and to approve releases, it is quite rare.  We
should try to avoid using voting as a the "easy way out", as a
substitute for discussion, collaboration and consensus building.  But
in the end, voting is is a tool that exists if honest attempts at
consensus building have reached an impasse.

Consider:  when you have a close vote like this, you have many people
who are not happy with the results.  If we reach consensus on
something, then we're all happy, or at last no one is very upset.  So
it is always better to take the extra effort to reach consensus.  The
project is healthier when we're happy with the decision making
process.

-Rob