incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:10:49 GMT
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> > I agree that we can be quick. We will ask Apache Infra to permanently
>> redirect contributing.openoffice.org to our new page either to
>> >
>> > http://ooo-site.apache.org/participate/
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/participate/
>> >
>> > As long as there is a simple page in place the infra change can proceed
>> independently from the content correction.

>> > Well, next few weeks. I'm contemplating a more direct approach and
>> pruning approach that must proceed specially for several subdomains.
>> >
>> > downloads.oo.o is another discussion and it goes as far away from the
>> podling site as possible.

>> > Agreed. Keep it simple and then refine it. I think it will turn some
>> attention to the AOO podling's story.
>>

>> Let's try to restart this thread, since it appears entropy got he best
>> of it in the first try.
>>
>> We currently have this on the Podling website:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html
>>
>> Can we update that as needed and just direct the participate page to that?
>>
>> One higher level issue we have is that we have never reached consensus
>> on how the Apache-domain project site and the openoffice.org site
>> relate.  I'll start another thread on that/
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>> > Regards,
>> > Dave

> Rob--We can certainly do this pretty quickly if that's what we TRULY want.
> I don't see any responses to this in the last 4 days.
>
> My only concern/objection is that if we did this, the "users" are bounced
> out of the user portal and into what we are now considering the "developer"
> portal, but, oh well.

I think that is the intended behavior, as the user changes focus from
"product" to "project".  By analogy, if you are at the Pepsi website
and want to look for  a job, then you go to the PepsiCo corporate
website and look at their HR page.  There might be some commonality
across the two sites, a common color scheme, etc., so the transition
does not need to be abrupt.

> How about if we don't hear any major objections by say, Dec. 1, I'll go
> ahead and make this change (redirect contributing/index.html to this).
> Nothing is in concrete, we can always go back or do something else.

I don't know if we need to do an actual HTTP-level redirect.    I
don't think there are many external links to the OOo contributing
page.  It would be sufficient if we just change the link to point to
the project contributing page.