incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting permission to use OpenOffice Trademarks (draft)
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:03:50 GMT
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> I think the Team OOo situation involving Fundraising that confuses brand ownership requires
some additional rules.

> If a trademark is used in association with an entity's fundraising activity then it must
be clear on the entity's material that

> (1) the user can choose to donate to the ASF - with an appropriate link that we choose.
>
> (2) that donations to the entity have nothing to do with the ASF, AOO, and OpenOffice.org.
>
> (A big reason to donate to the ASF is that Infrastructure costs money and openoffice.org
is supported on Apache Infrastructure.)

> I'm not sure how to work it into your text.

I'm just stating the procedure for asking permission.  The discussion
that would follow would be up to the PPMC and ASF VP, Brand
Management.  As far as I can tell, neither have made a statement on
whether permission would ever be granted for 3rd party fundraising, or
under what conditions.

And if ASF wants to make an official policy about permissions for
trademark relative to fundraising by 3rd parties then I'd expect that
to read it first on the ASF trademark page [1], not here.

Does that make sense? We document project-specific procedures here,
but leave policies to the ASF page and/or to specific discussions.

-Rob

[1]: http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/