incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:47:04 GMT
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> Redirects are easy once the live-site is our site and it can be figured out how to
add HTML <head> meta tags that the Apache CMS allows.  Also, there is always the good
old .htaccess scripting of a redirect (again, working around the CMS I suppose).

>> It should be done on at least on ooo-site even if it has no effect until cut-over.
>>
>> There is no reason to break a link on speculation when it is easy to avoid breaking
it, or having the break be temporary until cut-over.  (I'd bet the page has been search-indexed
and the "your download is starting, thank you for downloading" pages link to donation/contribution
points.)

> Dennis, I have absolutely no objections to any redirect rules that you
> are volunteering to implement.  I, however, do not think they are
> worth while, so I will not be spending any time on them.

And something else to consider:  without actual data your chances of
guessing what are the significant incoming links are is practically
nil.  Since we have not enabled Google Analytics on the site, we
continue to lack such data.

Some of the external links are to the kind of content we are already
throwing out.

For example:  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html points to
http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/sissl_license.html

It is entirely irrelevant to our work at Apache, but do we keep it for
historical reasons?

If we're not willing to enable GA, then our next best bet would be to
monitor the httpd logs for 404 errors.  A regular report of page not
found errors, sorted by URL and indicating the referrer, will give us
a targeted list of places were a redirect will help.  Otherwise we're
not going to have much luck with the  **2.6 million** external links
that come into openoffice.org pages.

> -Rob
>
>> Finally, it is my understanding that cut-over of the static site is now at our option
and the AOOo has reasonable discretion with regard to timing.  It seems that cut-over can
be done as soon as ooo-site is ready enough to be the new live site.  And the subdomains
don't all have to cut over together and everything will still work.  A progressive, rolling
cut-over might even be in the cards.