incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Do recent bugs filed against Libre 3.4 need to be refiled with apache tracker?
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 12:39:25 GMT
On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
>  I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but over the past year I
> have filed several bugs against Libre which would also apply to OO 3.4. How
> do you want to handle these types of issues? Do you review the Libre tracker
> at freedesktop.org or do duplicates bugs need to be opened in the apache
> tracker?

Hi David, thanks for the great question.  I don't think I've seen this
question come up before.

Currently there is no automatic exchange of bug reports between the
two projects.  I don't think that would make sense in general.  From
what I've seen there are many bugs in LO that do not exist in OOo, and
presumably when we put out Apache releases we'll have bugs that don't
exist in LO.  But certainly there will be defects that exist in both
products.  And where we know that it will make sense to share the
reports.

Probably the easiest solution is, when you believe the defect exists
in OOo as well, to enter a new defect in the AOOo Bugzilla, with a
link to the LO defect. And then add a comment to the LO defect
pointing to the AOOo defect report.  No need to duplicate the content,
but it would be useful to cross-link the defect reports. That way it
will be easier for LO to find and grab our patches when we fix an
issue.

>  I presume you won't want duplicates filed, but is there some mechanism in
> place to make sure those bugs don't slip through the cracks and plague OO
> 3.4 the way they have Libre 3.4? May also be worth a note on the
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html page or the
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/ page. Thanks.

Let's see if there are any better ideas for how to track these
cross-product defects, and then we can document the consensus
recommendations, on the website (hopefully also at the LO website as
well).

Regards,

-Rob