incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:44:06 GMT
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Kazunari Hirano <khirano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Shane, Jim and all,
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 17, 2011, at 7:24 AM, Kazunari Hirano wrote:
>>>
>>> If we (Apache) use OpenOffice as product name and Apache OpenOffice as
>>> project name, then we can give Team OOo the OpenOffice.org brand and
>>> trademark?
>>>

>> Why would we want to? You don't reward "bad behavior" so even
>> if the ASF did want to "give" the OOo brand to some 3rd
>> party (which we for sure do NOT want to do), it certainly
>> wouldn't be TOOo
>
> I see.
>
> I was just wondering what the ASF keeps holding the OpenOffice.org
> trademark for if Apache OpenOffice the project will develop and
> release Apache OpenOffice the product.

Maybe think of it this way;  Kentucky Fried Chicken decided to rebrand
itself as "KFC" because the wanted to deemphasize the "fried" part,
for modern health-conscious consumers.  But that doesn't meant that
anyone can go out and open a store and call it "Kentucky Friend
Chicken".  Both trademarks continue to be enforced.

(Do you have KFC in Japan?)

Regards,

-Rob