incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: content of the about dialog box
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:49:26 GMT
2011/11/18 Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>:
> just stumbled over the about dialog box.
>
> Besides the logo on top + the name, version and build info the text box
> below contains
>
> ###
> Copyright © 2000, 2011 Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
> This product was created by Oracle, based on OpenOffice.org.
> OpenOffice.org acknowledges all community members, especially those
> mentioned at
>  http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html.
> ###
>
> We have to find a new text for this box. Any ideas!

I have not seen any guidance on about boxes at Apache.  This is
probably because most Apache products are not desktop GUI software.
But I think it would be good if we stated in the about box:

1) Copyright statement, with Apache Software Foundation as the owner.

2) Statement that the names Apache OpenOffice, OpenOffice.org and the
logo are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation.

3) Statement that the software is available under the Apache 2.0
License and provide a link to the license

4) Statement that notices for other 3rd party components can be found
int he the NOTICE file, and link to that

5) The credits link, if we want to maintain that

If we were producing a Java library, we would have the LICENSE and
NOTICE in the root of the tar file we distribute.  So it would be
prominent.  I think we should also give prominence to these items in
the about box.

So in total, maybe something like:

=========

Copyright © 2011 Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.

"Apache OpenOffice", "OpenOffice.org" and the OpenOffice logo are
trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation.

Terms and conditions for use, reproduction and distribution of this
software is governed by the Apache 2.0 license:

This software contains 3rd party open source software modules
acknowledged in the following notice:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/NOTICE

Apache OpenOffice acknowledges all community members, especially those
mentioned at:

http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html.

=========

Of course, IANAL, so we should probably review this on legal-discuss
once we have consensus here on what our preferred statement is.

-Rob