incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:43:01 GMT
I just noticed that Dennis started an independent discussion thread on
the branding vote on the forums:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=45224

Although it had the best intentions, the thread quickly degenerated
into discussions on how to vote without subscribing to to ooo-dev,
complaining about Apache and the Apache Way, and personal attacks,

But most of all, the thread was entirely ineffective.  Although it may
have triggered a few additional votes, by having this fragmented
discussion in an obscure forum thread which is never seen by the vast
majority of the PPMC, it had almost zero influence on anyone else's
opinions.  There is a reason why we have a [DISCUSSION] thread on
ooo-dev in parallel to a [VOTE] thread.  This is so you can make an
argument for your position and potentially persuade others.

So I'd urge, in the future, if there is a community-wide discussion or
vote, to come to where the core discussion and vote is occurring and
make your views know here.  You can always unscubscribe to the list
after the vote if you have no further interest.

Regards,

-Rob