incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 15:18:39 GMT
On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Andrea Pescetti
<pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On 02/11/2011 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I think the most-important thing that Oracle could do right now,
>> while the forwarding service is operating, is send a bulk e-mail to
>> all current myname@ openoffice.org account holders asking them to
>> opt-in to any transfer to Apache.
>
> This is a brilliant idea and I fully agree. It would be the best trade-off
> between ensuring that there will be no major disruptions and not requiring
> too much effort on Oracle side.

We don't even need Oracle for this.  You can see which ID's are active
in project work by doing reports in Bugzilla.  For example, there are
fewer than 500 IDs that have submitted more than 1 defect report in
the past year.  If we each agree to main 25 or so of these addresses,
to let them know about the retirement of the email forwarders, we
could notify them quickly.

> I personally depend on my @openoffice.org account for many activities and
> losing my alias would effectively disconnect me from the project and require
> that I resubscribe to more than fifty mailing lists; but more than my

Fortunately the new AOOo project will not have 300+ mailing lists.
You should only need to re-subscribe to a small number of them.

> personal case (if the alias goes away I'll notice it soon and I'll know what
> to do) dropping the aliases without notice or without offering an opt-in
> replacement would be problematic for those who are not following this list
> or who are still waiting on the sidelines.

No on intends to drop the forwarder without notice.  We're just
exploring all the possibilities.

-Rob