incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 23:41:27 GMT
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> There are several parts to the migration of openoffice.org website. One area that needs
attention is rewriting contributing.openoffice.org to fit ASF and AOO policies. (Policies
may need to be written and discussed.)

> On the current main www.openoffice.org page, contributing is accessed from the fifth
button - "I want to participate in OpenOffice.org"

> Volunteers are needed to take leadership of and contribute to this rewrite. Any committer
can do this work.

> I suggest that a directory be created within the podling site called "contributing".
Within that directory there should be an index.mdtext and as many subpages as required. Once
completed, I can do an svn copy or move to the ooo-site tree.

Before actually doing the work, let me propose a radical
simplification.  AOO is organizationally flat, so we don't have all
the destination sub-projects of the legacy OOo website.

1) The "I want to participate" link on the main page goes to a single
new page.  No need to be at contribute.openoffice.org.  In fact, I
think I'd avoid that since to participate != to contribute.

2) The new page has a simple couple of paragraphs.  We welcome
volunteers of all sorts.  These are the functional areas where we need
help (taken from those already listed).  If you want more information
you can browser our project website (the podling site)  here, or send
a note to our project list at ooo-dev.i.a.o.

I would not advise them to subscribe initially.  Depending on what
they are interested in we might point them to a specific list
(ooo-marketing) or to the forums.  I think the full ooo-dev list can
be overwhelming for newbies.

With this approach, the PPMC would be responsible for following up on
these incoming volunteer notices and helping to orient the new
volunteers.  In a sense we would become mini-mentors.

As for the fundraising link, I don't know where to put that.  I
certainly would not expect to see it behind a "I want to participate"
link.  Maybe a new tab labeled "Contribute" and then have that link to
the relevant Apache page?

-Rob

> The reason I suggest doing the work on the podling site is due to hidden overhead when
using the Apache CMS Bookmarklet. Each user does a complete checkout of a site's tree. The
podling site is small and the ooo-site is very huge. Using the podling site will be much more
satisfying for volunteers.