incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OOo Business...
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 19:59:40 GMT
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <louis@apache.org> wrote:
> I continue (naturally) to receive many requests from businesses (small
> and large) to use the trademarked "OpenOffice.org" logo. I generally
> pass on these, as there seemed, until very recently, a mystery on how
> to proceed. I'm still in need of enlightenment, and would appreciate
> some guidance.

Apache controls that trademark now, so only Apache can give permission
to use it.

We've received such requests as well, two of them so far, on this very
list.  We have a process we take these requests through.  In both
cases the requests were granted.

I'd recommend something like this:

1) Have the person who wants to use the trademark check this page and
make sure they really need permission.  In some cases ("nominative
use") no permission is required.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

2) If they actually do require permission, then they should send the
request to this ooo-dev list.  If there was something especially
sensitive (unannounced product plans or similar), they could send the
request to ooo-private,  We would discuss and decide if we (the PPMC)
supported the request or not.

3) If we supported the request, then we would send our recommendation
to the Apache VP of Branding, who makes the final decision.

(We should really write up this procedure)

> * I think it's pointless to endorse "OpenOffice.org" at this point.
> The probable name of its successor will be "Apache OpenOffice" or some
> variant thereof. And that new name will come into play very soon
> indeed. We will need to progressively inform all those using the old
> logo/name/trademark to switch over with new installation sets.

There will be a transition period.  So if someone is doing something
with OOo 3.3 in the immediate future, a book a video or whatever, then
they may want to get permission.

> * I would therefore like to be able to respond to those requesting use
> of the trademark, etc., to wait a little bit, and then to return to
> us—preferably to a wiki or even better, an automated service, such as
> we used on OOo, for this. (The automated service allowed us to docket
> requests and act more expeditiously, while also giving room for more
> fully understanding the request. Otherwise, the requests were simply
> sent to a list I set up for this and which John, Florian, and I
> managed for several years, though it really seems like an eternity—and
> John was doing much of the work.)

Right now the volume has been thin enough that ooo-dev was fine.  In
fact, the volume of other stuff on ooo-dev is probably more
overwhelming to the person requesting permission.

> —
>
> I also receive many (well, a few) requests and inquiries about
> contributing to OpenOffice.org code. (Rob has been included in one
> such.) Right now, it's a little easier to tell people what to do—join
> Apache's lists for OOo in the Incubator, participate, contribute. But
> not all requests are quite so simple. For instance, what about
> templates? Extensions? I have no problem with telling people to join
> the lists where the contributions are, and to proceed according to the
> Apache way (tao of apache?) but perhaps there are other answers I
> should give? (Oh, and I have no problem whatsoever with others taking
> on this role. I've just been doing it as an extension of my previous
> existence modulo OOo, not as an assertion of nonexistent authority.)

I usually point people to ooo-dev, but first I point them to podling
website for background info, explain the roles at Apache, etc.
Extensions are an in-between thing.  Do we want to support extension
authors on ooo-dev or ooo-users?  They are really a type of user,
using the extensibility features of OpenOffice.

-Rob