incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Install configuration management
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:53:02 GMT
Moving this to its own thread....

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Gianluca Turconi
<public@letturefantastiche.com> wrote:
> In data 17 novembre 2011 alle ore 22:26:18, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> ha
> scritto:
>
>> I'm OK with that.  This is what I was thinking of as #3 below.  So
>> saying, "You do not have a dictionary installed, would you like to see
>> a list of 3rd party dictionaries?" is fine.  You then can launch a
>> browser or have an in-app extension browser.  But we're not choosing
>> among the alternatives.  We're inviting the user to do this.  Of
>> course, a 3rd party could take AOO, modify it and constrain the
>> choices further, bundle dictionaries, etc.
>
> Are you talking about an after-installation wizard or something similar,
> aren't you?
>
> This means that AOOo wouldn't be a ready-to-use product just after the
> installation. That's fine for individual installations.
>
> However, what about network installations?
>
> I think many IT admins *really* don't like users' installation of add-ons...
> ;-)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have such procedure directly included into the
> installation of the application?
>
> There would be 2 options:
>
> a) a normal installation (plain vanilla AOOo);
>
> b) a custom Installation (vanilla AOOo + selected and downloadable
> dictionaries, templates, everything else).

I think this is a good idea.  A large organization will want to do a
network install with a customized configuration:

1) Pre-install extensions, both open source ones but also custom,
in-house extensions

2) Install custom document templates per corporate standards

3) Modify configuration settings, such as for default file format, etc.

It is good to look at what Microsoft has done here with there Office
Customization Tool:

And one thing to consider:  for a very large company, an international
company like IBM, the network install would need to have many language
packs and dictionaries available, since we have employees all over the
world.  So the deployment options become more complex.

-Rob