incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:54:50 GMT
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ariel.constenla.haile@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mathias, *
>
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 12:22:39AM +0100, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>> > A source release will never include the sources for these components,
>> > as it never did if you downloaded an archived version from
>> > hg.services.openoffice.org
>>
>> But you need to pull the source tarballs from somewhere - and this again
>> touches the topic "where to put external source tarballs of (weak)
>> copyleft modules". I'm going to continue with my "moving ext_src to
>> Apache" thread tomorrow, so we can follow-up there as this is not a
>> liguistic-only topic.
>
> Good to bring this back, because I thought I understood those packages
> *could* be in svn but *not* be part of a source release, but Ross Gardler
> message:
>
> "In order to graduate there can be no license incompatible code in SVN.
> The solution below is ok only as an interim solution."
> http://s.apache.org/5OK
>
> suggests the opposite.

Remember, there are three categories of licenses:

1) Compatible licenses

2) Incompatible licenses (category-x)

and

3) Weak copyleft licensees (category-b)

So MPL is not "incompatible".  But it does require special treatment,
including (as you note) not including it in our source releases.

See:  http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

-Rob