incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hunspell dictionaries are not just words lists (+ other matters)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:51:27 GMT
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Andre Schnabel <Andre.Schnabel@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Rob,*
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 08:13:40 -0500
>> Von: Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>
>

>> And I'm sure there is choice and in how one structures a telephone
>> book as well. Alphabetical versus topical.  Fonts choices.  Consistent
>> ways of abbreviating given names. But he courts have held that the
>> facts expressed in telephone directory are not copyrightable.
>
> I tried to not comment - but it is really a shame to see people being such
> ignorant.
>
> US copyright law is not the only law that is relevant here. Relevant is
> the local law of the creator of the dictionary - and actually there *are*
> countries where such work ist protected. German law is at least one
> example for that. (This may sound stupid to you, but it is a simple
> fact.)

The jurisdiction of the creator only matters in the case of local
infringement or in the context of international treaties.  And I don't
believe any treaties have recognized sui generis IP rights for
collections of facts, i.e., databases.  It has been discussed but
there is no agreement.  See the WIPO statement on this:

http://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/activities/databases.html

-Rob