incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of copyrighted images with permission
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 19:55:38 GMT
On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello;
>
> Probably everybody out there knows the BSD beastie
> image:
> http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/mainpage/images.html
>
> This image is copyrighted by Kirk Mckusick:
> http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/mainpage/copyright.html
>
> And I have his permission to use it for the AOO FreeBSD
> port (He even sent me a nicer link to the image). Taking
> into account the note in his copyright statement about
> appropriate use, this is not something we are likely to
> get under an SGA, nor would I ask for it.

So you have his permission to use it.  But does Apache have his
permission?  And what about downstream consumers?  Although it is
unlikely, we need to consider the possibility that someone else takes
the BSD port and customizes it and then redistributes it.  Would they
have permission to copy the logo?

The license also says it can be used for "personal use".  I don't
think that is compatible with the ALv2.

> Can I go ahead and use this in Apache OO for the FreeBSD
> port only or should I ask legal@?

I'm not sure we've discussed this before:  What exactly do you think
the relationship of the BSD port will be to the AOO project?  In
particular, do you want to eventually have an official Apache release
of the BSD binaries, made available on the Apache mirrors?  Or were
you thinking of building and release the BSD port yourself, via
another website?

If you release your own BSD port, based on the Apache releases, then
you have more flexibility to bundle other software with it.  Maybe
something like "BSD Office, powered by Apache OpenOffice"?

If you want to have the BSD port released by Apache, then I think
you'll want to ask legal-discuss@ to review and classify that license.

-Rob