incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Trademark and Brand
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:26:41 GMT
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I notice that you're leaning toward "Apache OpenOffice".
>
> Please proceed cautiously and get proper legal advice first. On first blush, this sounds
and looks very much like the OpenOffice trademark that Oracle already had to work around.
Simply putting Apache in front of something doesn't necessarily distinguish it from other
trademarks.

Opinions vary on whether adding ".org" to a name necessarily
distinguishes it either.

There is one Dutch company that claims a registration on "Open Office"
(note the space) as a name for a corporation providing IT services.

More details via Google Translates:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openoffice.nl%2F&act=url

They claim that even with the ".org" the name is still confusing.