incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:07:20 GMT
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Gianluca Turconi
<inbox@letturefantastiche.com> wrote:
> Pedro Giffuni ha scritto:
>>
>> Copyleft imposes restrictions on software and when you
>> try to impose your "freedoms" to other people, the result
>> ends up being less free. We respect copyleft, but we want
>> more.
>
> Well, I understand your point.
>
> I created a new dictionary from scratch because the author of the original
> ispell Italian dictionary didn't want to change its license to something
> compatible with OOo licenses.
>
> However, I thought it was like reinventing the wheel and I feel in the same
> way this time too.
>>
>> Being pragmatical I think for 3.4 we will ship with
>> hunspell binaries of the available dictionaries, just
>> like LibreOffice does. We still cannot ship the existing
>> italian dictionary because of the GPL. It is not illegal
>> to do it but ASF's policies apply here so someone outside
>> the ASF will have to do it.
>
> Well, it would be useful to know how the compiling and releasing structure
> of the AOOo *binaries* will work, in order to know who may or may not do
> that work.
>
> Will the binaries be *official* or *contributed* by volunteers of an
> external compiling farm?

We can do three things for an Apache release:

1) We can release source code tarballs, with only Apache 2.0 and
compatible source.  Someone would then be free to take this source and
build it themselves, including code from other licenses as they wish.
They could then use and redistribute that compiled version according
to the licenses for the code it includes.  This is the minimum that an
Apache release requires -- a source release.

2) We can provide binary releases.  This can include "weak copyleft"
code like MPL or EPL license.  But they cannot include LPGL/GPL.

3) We can link to (but not host) 3rd party builds and distributions
based on our source code releases.  These 3rd party builds could
include GPL/LPGL items.  If you look at a typically Apache project,
like Subversion, you see a large number of links to externally hosted
binaries, for platform ports as well as enhanced versions:
http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

-Rob