incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:05:35 GMT
On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> So, this exceptionalism for "friends for Rob" is being offered, without consideration
at all for those friends of OpenOffice.org who have relied on those e-mail forwardings and
proudly organized their e-mail existence around that affiliation.  This smells a bit like
mit.alumni.edu (or whatever the domain is) dropping all of those graduates who fail to sustain
some sort of annual gift level.

> Why can't the focus be on achieving the best possible result for all of those folks?

I'm looking for what's best for the project, Dennis.  If someone was
using an openoffice.org address for reporting defects to the project,
and the only way to contact them is through that address, then the
project benefits if we can ensure our ability to contact them.  if
they were using their openoffice.org address for other things,
unrelated to the project, then that is not our concern.  AOOo is not
the ISP to the world.

In any case, I suggest we pick a drop dead date, say in 2 weeks time.
If no one has come up with a better plan at that point, then we go
ahead with notifications via the addresses that are publicly
available, via BZ, etc., as well as prominent notifications on the
website and mailing list.  We should risk dropping all of the users
without notification, and at very short notice,  if we do nothing but
hold out for the unlikely perfect solution.  The perfect is the enemy
of the good, etc.