incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:16:47 GMT
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> I'll butt in with my (non-binding) suggestions.
>
> On 11/2/2011 12:01 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> where I am confused is the focus on Mailing-List forwarding rather than
>> E-mail
>> forwarding.  I can't tell what the intended behaviors are.
>>
>> Let's get clear:
>>
>>  1. If someone posts to one of the old e-mail list addresses (e.g.,
>> users@openoffice.org), what is intended to happen?  What is the observed
>> behavior?  How does this extend to use
>> of -subscribe, -unsubscribe, -help, -owner (or their OO.o counterparts),
>> etc.
>> ?
>
> After the final migration, they all bounce.  By then we should have nice
> friendly pages - easily searchable for - that tell past OpenOffice.org
> product version users which relevant Apache list to use.  And we'll have
> sent several "hey, this list is going away" notes to the old list.

And now that we have control of the wiki and website, we can search
for "@openoffice.org" or "mailto:" and ensure that all links to legacy
mailing lists under our control have been updated to point to the new
lists.  So that part is under our control.

As for links to legacy lists from outside the project, these could be
in people's inboxes, in spam target lists, or on other websites.
Breaking these links is a mixed bag.  I won't shed a tear for leaving
the spammers behind.  But if we can have a bot that responds with a
list of new lists, or a link to a web page for more info on the new
lists, then we have the best of both worlds, I think.

>>  2. (a) If someone sends an e-mail to an existing account/e-mail address
>> (e.g., orcmid@openoffice.org), what is intended to happen?  What does the
>> individual that it current forwards to get to know or do about it?  The
>> person
>> sending the e-mail?  If the forwarding bounces, what will happen?
>>     (b) If the account is closed/deleted, what are the 2(a) answers.
>
> After the final migration, if they're not a committer, they bounce. Period.
>  We are not in the business of providing services to non-committers.
>
> If they're a committer, then it's up to the PPMC to decide if 1) you want
> to, and 2) you will support some software to make committer forwarders
> @openoffice.org work somehow.

If we do offer continuation for commiters then we need to consider:

1) Possible backlash from non-committers who are not supported.

2) How do we do this securely?  I'm assuming we will not get access to
the mapping tables from Oracle.  But it would be inadvisable to simple
ask committers "what @openoffice.org address do you own?".  Remember,
we're talking about the private emails of real people.  Any mistake in
this routing. accidental, intentional, malicious, social engineering,
etc., will have drastic consequences in terms of data leakage.  With
500,000 forwarding accounts out there, a typographical error likely
maps to a real address of someone else rather than return an error.
So I think we would need some protocol along the lines of:

1) Committer indicates what @openoffice.org address they have

2) Infra sends that @openoffice.org address an email with a unique
secure token (random number) that identifies that account.

3) Owner responds to ooo-private including their token and indicating
their desired forwarding address

In other words, if we're building our own forwarding table we need to
verify address ownership in some secure way.

> Apache projects use apache.org services to do their work.  I certainly
> expect - as such a hugely accessed service - that web access to
> openoffice.org will remain, along with a number of it's key subdomains.  But
> we really need to start thinking like the new Apache project that we're
> running, and not like some strange continuation of the past Oracle project
> that is now... unsupported.

+1