incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 20:48:59 GMT
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Rob--
>>>
>>> I'm not following you here. It's true that of course we are not going to
>>> follow the former "project" hierarchy (lucky for use the "Projects" tab is
>>> now gone on the setup site) that existed within OpenOffice.org, but I'm not
>>> understanding what you’re trying to say about the existing "participate "
>>> link on the home page that transfers to  contributing.html.
>>>
>>> In the legacy OOo sense, the "participate" link jumped to a "contribute"
>>> page, contribute.html,  which listed a few ways to contribute/participate,
>>> so in this sense, I think it meant the same thing (?).
>>>
>>> I think you are making a distinction between participating and contributing
>>> (?) based on ???? actual participation -- coding, etc -- vs monetary
>>> contributions?
>>>

>> In English, participate means to take part in.  Contribute means to
>> give something (including money, time, resources, etc.) for a
>> charitable purpose.  So anyone who participates in the project is also
>> contributing to the project via their time..  But not everyone who
>> contributes is also participating.  For example, if you just donate
>> via Paypal, then you are contributing, but not participating.
>
> The site says "Participate" this what the pages describe and what the rewrite should
be.

> The subdomain and OOo / Collabnet / Kenai project is contributing. contributing.openoffice.org
can have a permanent redirection wherever we decide. We can reduce all links to the old site
to the index of the new Participate Page(s).

> The c.oo.o site currently has the following categories.
>
> Programming
> Marketing
> Quality Assurance
> Graphics and Art
> Writing
> Helping Users
> User Experience
> Monetary Donations
> Language Communities
>
> I think most of the categories should be kept.
>
> There is also a guideline. This should be replaced with an introduction to the Apache
Way. There should be concrete examples of how users can find a ways to participate in the
project within each category.

> Programming
>        ooo-dev, svn, builds, ...
> Marketing
>        ooo-marketing, ...
> Quality Assurance
>        Bugzilla, ...
> Graphics and Art
>        Logos, icons, fonts, skins, ...
> Writing
>        Apache CMS, ODFAuthors, api docs, ...
> Helping Users
>        ooo-users, Forums
> User Experience
>        ?
> Monetary Donations
>        ASF donations and sponsorship links.
> Language Communities
>        Language Packs, N-L communities, what to do to add support for a language
to AOO.
>        NL Mailing lists, NL Forums.
> Apache Software Foundation
>        The Apache Way, Project Governance, ...
>

> The more I think about this the more I think these are podling pages.

What I see is this:

1) What we have at openoffice.org today for this page is pretty much
100% wrong.  It is useless or worse for anyone interested in learning
how to participate in AOO.

2) Any prolonged development and planning effort around creating a new
sub-site is equally ineffective, at least in the near term, since no
users go to ooo-site.

3) From what I've been told, the plan is to switch the ooo-site live
within a couple of weeks,

So.... it seems to me that anything that can be done now, in the short
term, is more useful.  We can always refine it over time, add to it.,
expand it, make it more friendly, etc.  But almost anything is better
than the 100% incorrect information that is on the website now.  So
I'd recommend, per my original proposal, that we just put a 1-pager up
for now, directing volunteers to ooo-dev.  Unless, of course, someone
actually is volunteering to do more in this same timeframe.  Doing
more later is fine as well.  But let's keep the focus on what can be
done in, say the next two weeks.

-Rob