incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hunspell dictionaries are not just words lists (+ other matters)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 17:31:08 GMT
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2011, at 8:32 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Hi Olivier,
>>>
>>> Thanks for bringing your experienced perspective to the list!

on an Apache list about FLOSS you are willing to bundle in your software.

>>> Rob is not an Apache Member, neither am I. We are Apache Committers and on the
Apache OpenOffice.org (incubating) PPMC.

>>> An official opinion is a reasonable request.
>>>

>> Whether a question is reasonable depends on the question.
>>
>> Andrea was asking an Apache policy question.  Oliver was asking an
>> abstract legal question.   I think we will receive a real answer to
>> only one of these questions.
>
> True, but these are facets of the same problem, how to incorporate language packs into
AOOo in a way that is compatible with each Language pack's license and copyright.

> Andrea has been participating on ooo-dev long enough to know how to pose the question
and Olivier is experienced in OOo but new on this list.

> I don't think it is helpful to throw abstract cabbages into the discussion. It might
be silly, but it doesn't help find an answer.

> You stated IBM has spelling dictionaries. How does this contribute to the discussion?
Is IBM willing to donate these cabbages via SGA to the ASF under the AL2?

Consider that to be "Plan B".  I cannot guarantee an outcome, but if
we're unable to find a way to make reasonable use of the Hunspell
dictionaries, I can pursue this internally at IBM.  Keep in mind that
aside from our own dictionaries, we also have our own translation
strings and documentation sets.  Of course, these are for Symphony,
but there is much overlap.

-Rob

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> -Rob
>>
>>> On the other thread Andrea Pescetti had an interesting point of view that I think
is the basis for seeking an opinion from the Apache Legal team (made up of Apache Members)

>>> Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)

>>> <big snip>

nothing to teach to the legal team, but this is a very rare case where the "virality" of GPL
does not apply.

dictionary is developed in the OOo trunk, they are synchronized from time to time, usually
before a release; the Italian dictionary SVN trunk, for example, is not in the OOo sources.
Even just the possibility to provide an extension that can be included in binary releases
would be OK for me.

should think about downloading the extension at installation time. But we managed to get Sun
and the FSF agree to ship dictionaries in the most convenient way (i.e., included in the installer),
so we might succeed this time as well.