incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Licensed Fonts (was Re: Font related questions)
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:00:05 GMT
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> OFL has two big issues:
> 1) It's copyleft so we cannot put it in the repository.
> 2) It cannot be redistributed on it's own: it has
> to be bundled with software, so we cannot make it
> available as and add-on package by itself.

I don't see the problem here.  It says, "Neither the Font Software nor
any of its individual components, in Original or Modified Versions,
may be sold by itself."  But we're not selling the font in any form,
bundled or not.

Why can't we just download it as part of the build script?  It is not
in SVN then, and we only include it in the binary release?

This looks acceptable per:
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#no-modification

> The bitstream vera / dejavu fonts are not without issues:
> " ... no copy of one or more of the Font Software typefaces
>  may be sold by itself."

Again, we are not selling it "by itself".